Thursday, May 3, 2012

This ever happen to anyone else?

As a kid, I used to fantasize about owning multiples of each Transformer I owned.  One for each mode.  I recently achieved this with Wildrider once I bought my Menasor.  I have one for alt-mode, one for robot mode, and one for Menasor mode.  More recently, I achieved this with Afterburner, but I wasn't looking to do that with him.  I kind of had to.  I'll explain.

My original Afterburner, which I got for my tenth birthday with all of the other Technobots, was old and out of shape, but he was mine.  One day when I was 13 or 14, he broke.  Not so much broke, as a crack occurred in his midsection.

Ugly, isn't it?

I tried to repair him by melting the plastic where the crack occurred.  It didn't work out so well.  I kept him because I didn't have access to a replacement and I don't just get rid of Transformers.  Never have, never will.

Cut to 2000, and my discovery of eBay.  I couldn't believe that you could buy G1 figures!  Awesome.  My first purchase on eBay was another Afterburner.  I paid $7 for an incomplete one, because all I needed was the figure.  That worked out well, I had one for vehicle mode and another for robot and Computron.  Life was good.

Two months ago, I was changing out my display, taking everyone out of alt-mode and into robot mode.  As soon as I flipped Afterburner's legs out, I felt something weird happen with him.  I looked, and sure enough, this Afterburner developed a fracture in the same place as the old one!  Dang it!

Is this something that happens to Afterburner a lot?
So that's awesome.  Once that happened, I went on eBay to buy another one.  I located quite a few.  Then, I didn't do anything.  For two months, I just decided to have two broken Afterburners.  I know, the horror.  What kind of collector was I?  For reasons I can't explain, I decided to just not replace him.  That is until last month.

New and improved!  Without fractures!
The original Afterburner stays in alt-mode, the first eBay purchase is permanently Computron's arm, and the new one is constantly is robot mode.  I figure that staying in each mode would lessen the chance of further breakage.

No comments:

Post a Comment