Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Chromedome

After I got Highbrow, I realized that I was still a few Headmasters short of a complete set.  Missing from my Autobot Headmaster collection were the that I wanted the least, and frankly, enjoy the least - Chromedome and Nightbeat.  What's that, you say?  It's sacrilege to not like Chromedome?  Especially after what James Roberts has done with him in More Than Meets the Eye?  Look, I really appreciate what Mr. Roberts has done with the ol' domed one, but that still doesn't mean that his toy is awesome.  Gah, this guy.  Anyway, let's get on with it.
I never had the misfortune of owning Chromedome as a kid, or of even seeing him in person.  As a matter of fact, I only ever laid optics on this guy two years ago at my local flea market and the seller only had the body and a gun.  Chromedome was in car mode, and the one gun was mostly silver.  The guy wouldn't even let me transform him.  Needless to say, I passed.  At any rate, the car mode is perhaps the best thing about Chromedome.  It certainly belies the horrid thing is coming up once you move some parts around. 
Chromedome's car mode is just so appealing to me, that it's a shame he has to transform.  I'm not a huge fan of the guns on the car, but I understand that this is a thing and so I really won't harp too much on it.
Here's an obligatory shot of a Nebulon sitting in a cockpit.  In this case, it's Stylor.  For those of you only familiar with the comics, this is not an alternate version of Rewind.  Speaking of Stylor...
I really like the little guy.  He has an interesting head sculpt, and the reds really work well with the grey body.  It's a shame that he's binary bonded to such an ugly thing.
Gah.  When I first transformed Chromedome, I really thought that I did something wrong.  I actually thought that I did something wrong with his feet and that he was standing on his tips of his toes.  He just looks so odd in robot mode.  And he really looks like a brick.
His feet aren't even in any kind of real proportion to the rest of his body.  Looking at Chromedome in robot mode just makes me angry; it's irrational.  Perhaps I've been tainted by his robust form in the IDW books?  Whatever the reason, Chromedome stays in alt-mode in my display.  Ugh.
Whelp, next time I'll be in a better mood when reviewing.  Of course, that shouldn't be too hard since the next figure should be Masterpiece Ironhide, depending on my package delivery service.

No comments:

Post a Comment