Friday, March 16, 2012

Soundwave

My last post showed the Autobot Communicators and their cassettes.  This time I'll show off the Decepticons.






Here we have reissue Soundwave, reissue Soundblaster and Encore Soundblaster, and in tape deck mode, an original Soundwave.  I always keep the original in alt mode since I don't have any of his weapons.  I picked him up around 1988 or 1989 at a yard sale when I was in the sixth grade for two bits, which is a great deal at any time in your life.  I was excited to get him because I never owned one or had even seen one in person up until that point.  He's not complete, but I love him all the same.

As far as the cassettes go, we have Laserbeak x2 in this picture.  The second one is in Soundwave.  They're reissues.  Then we have Wingthing and Enemy, the newest additions to the cassette army.  It's hard to make out with the way I have them staged, but Ravage and Slugfest are in there.  Ravage is a reissue, but Slugfest is an original.  I got him in the two-pack with Overkill, but I lost Overkill over the years.  I also have Beastbox and Squawktalk, but I rarely combine them since I really don't like how Squawkbox looks.  Behind Beastbox are the Encore Overkill, Rumble and Frenzy.  I have an original Frenzy, but I didn't include him this photo.

I think one of the reasons I'm so fond of the Cassettes is because they were the first Transformers I ever saw.  I still remember that day.  In 1984, my family and I were living in San Francisco and we traveled to San Diego to visit my dad's family.  We went to a Mervin's Department store to buy something, and on a counter was the Rumble/Ravage two pack.  I just stared at the packaging.  My mom came up and I pointed to it and said "Mom!  That's a robot fighting a panther!  Will you buy that for me?"  My mom quickly shot down that idea and dragged me out of the store.  When we got back to San Francisco, we went on base (My dad was in the Navy) and I got Huffer from the PX.  But that memory of seeing a Transformer for the first time is still burned in my mind and probably will be forever.

3 comments:

  1. My gosh, I was similarly denied a Rumble and Ravage set by my mum back in 1984! See here - http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2005/08/ravagely-rumblin.html

    I did manage to get it years and years and years later... http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2010/06/pre-rub-ravage-and-rumble-set-mosc-1984.html

    Love the fact that you still have your childhood Transformers, or some of them at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have most of my childhood Transformers. Once I settle on my newest display method I'll post them. I think I have 80% of my childhood Transformers. The rest have disappeared from my parents' attic somehow. But that's a post for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, really impressed that you have 80% of your childhood Transformers, that is really very fortunate! Mine all disappeared in carton boxes which were given to the Salvation Army never ever to to be seen again...

    ReplyDelete