Friday, February 20, 2015

Combiner Wars Powerglide

When the Combiner Wars line was announced, I was okay with it.  I wasn't really that thrilled, especially when I found out that Hasbro pretty much tossed out Slingshot over rights issues with the name.  Speaking of which, someone really needs to update Slingshot's TFWiki page.  It pretty much ends at Transformers: Robots in Disguise #3!  Where was I?  Oh, right.  Thirty issues after Slingshot's last entry in the TFWiki (Update it!), in issue #33, Powerglide volunteers to become a replacement Aerialbot, along with the already covered Alpha Bravo.  Powerglide as an Aerialbot had a certain logic to it, since he in a plane, but it really didn't seem to fit in my head.  He's nowhere near as fast as any of the other Aerialbots, and unless I'm mistaken, Powerglide is a lot smaller than them as well.  How would he form a limb?  Was he going to be a chest piece, like Menasor's car chest?  Then I saw some pictures on the Internet that showed him as a Targetmaster weapon.  So Superion was going for the Piranacon look...how interesting.
Whatever the case, or function that Powerglide would serve, we were at least getting a new Powerglide!  One that would be much better than this thing:
My photography has gotten much better.  Not by much, however.
Yes, this is Universe Powerglide, a monster of a figure that isn't the right color, and is pretty terrible.  Yes, it was re-released in the correct colors, both by Hasbro and Takara, but it's still ugly. 
This Powerglide would be in scale with the rest of his Minibot brethren in the Legends Class.  Because, let's face it, Powerglide is a legend.  What other Autobot do you know that has ever done this:
"Happy Valentine's Day!"  TFWiki.net
Anyway, The aircraft mode is pretty frakkin' sweet.  It really is an updated G1 figure.  Even the arm placement under the wings is highly evocative of the original.  Then again, the arm placement is something that is common in all versions of Powerglide.  You know, all 3 different molds. 
Robot mode.  Robot mode is where it's at.  Just look at how nice and proportioned he is.  Looking at my pics, I think I mistransformed him a bit by not pushing the thrusters down, but Powerglide still looks great.  Having an articulated Powerglide just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. 
Powerglide is incredibly balanced and able to strike many a pose, not that you can tell with my horrible posing skills.  Thankfully, I've been studying some of the best poses out there, so we should start seeing some improvement in the next batch of pictures I take.  Just know that you can have fun with yours.
Rage!
This raging Powerglide picture is to showcase the missile pods under his forearms.  Kind of awkward as a weapon, but they're there.  These are also the only weapons he has.  No pistols or rifles for Powerglide, no sir.  Maybe a third party company will whip some nice weapons up that we can buy.
Remember when triple changers were special?  We had Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Octane, Springer, Broadside, and Sandstorm.  Now everyone is a triple changer, including Powerglide.  Powerglide's third mode is a Targetmaster weapon.  It's a gun-type looking thing, kind of.  I'm not really sure what to make of it, truth be told.  When I have Superion completed, I'll see how it looks.  Most likely, I will never use this mode.  It just seems unwieldy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment