Friday, December 19, 2014

Generations Brainstorm

Okay, I lied.  I had stated a few posts ago that everything from here to the end of the year would be either vintage or Masterpiece.  I completely forgot about some key Generations releases this month, chief among them being Brainstorm.  If you've been reading IDW's fantastic Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye, you should be more than familiar with our resident briefcase carrier.  I won't spoil anything for those of you that haven't caught up the series while waiting for trades, or whatever, but seeing this release brings me so much joy based on current events in the book.
One of the first things that struck me as I took Brainstorm out of the box was how many moving parts he had for articulation.  Rotating thighs, shoulders, even his feet feature articulation.  Once that was out of the way, I immediately set about posing him every which way I could.
Here's my favorite pose so far, just because I was so happy that his head moved, unlike the G1 Brainstorm figure from 1987.
Brainstorm transforms into a jet, much like his G1 incarnation.  The transformation is virtually the same, which is a credit to the toy designer.  There are some modern touches, like parts that tab together, but overall, if you could transform G1 Brainstorm, you can transform the Generations version with ease.  What's that sitting in the cockpit?
Why, it's a pilot!  Brainstorm's tech spec doesn't specify a name for Brainstorm's little friend, but I'm calling him Arcana.  I'm original like that.
There really isn't anything to say about Arcana other than his head moves.  That's massive stuff for a Headmaster.  That articulated head allows Brainstorm to have a noggin that can turn around.
When the head is attached, the back of the seat springs forward to reveal his tech specs.  The readings don't correspond to what's on the box.  Instead, they are the original tech specs from 1987.  I think it's cool, but kids might get confused.
Here is a shot of the totality of Brainstorm's figures.  Ever.  It's amazing how much of the original design was kept, form the tail fins on the arms, to the color scheme.  This is really a figure for the fans.
We'll end with a shot of Arcana now and how he once was.  Well, maybe one more picture.
Can Highbrow be far behind?  Next up: something vintage, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment